If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (850) 267-0746

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

When an Overloaded Power Strip Causes a Fire in Walton County

4/16/2019 (Permalink)

Overloaded and faulty power strips cause thousands of fires each year. Make sure that your power strip has a surge protector.

Mitigating Power Strip Fire Damage in a Walton County Home

Many homeowners may think that their power strips have surge protection, but that is often not the case. A power strip without surge protection only increases the number of devices that can be plugged into an outlet but cannot protect from fire damage or electrical surges. All it takes is plugging in one too many devices to suddenly have a fire in your living room entertainment center that leaves soot on the walls, your appliances, and even stain your carpet and furniture.  

When an unprotected power strip causes fire damage in your Walton County home, the certified technicians at SERVPRO are ready to help. Our team strives to restore your home to its preloss condition so you can enjoy a movie night with the family as usual.  

With any fire, it is vital to remove soot before deodorizing, as these burnt particles are the primary carriers of odor. Our SERVPRO technicians can be thorough in cleaning surfaces in your home, even those not close to the source of the fire. Soot from fires that involve plastics or rubbers can leave a smeary residue that is more difficult to remove from porous surfaces such as wood, carpet, wallpaper, and fabric. This residue can eventually become acidic if chlorides or sulfides in these particles make contact with moisture or humid air, and this can discolor or even corrode surfaces over time.  

Once the soot is cleaned off of surfaces and out of vents, industrial-grade deodorizers may be used, such as the water-based Ultra Low Volume (ULV) fogger. If odors prove particularly strong, multiple methods may be used to eliminate odor. After deodorizing with a ULV fogger, ventilation box fans that blow 3,000 to 5,000 cubic feet of air per second can be used to clear the air. It takes 40 exchanges of air in a structure to remove lingering residues and vapors.  

SERVPRO of N. Okaloosa, Walton, Holmes & Washington Counties is ready to clean up after any size disaster that affects your home. If you need our services, give us a call today at (850) 267-0746.

Click here for more information about Walton County.

Other News

View Recent Posts