If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (850) 267-0746

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Preventing Electrical Fires in Your Santa Rosa Beach Home

7/31/2017 (Permalink)

Overloaded outlets and power strips can potentially start a fire. Keep an eye out for bad wiring or overloading. If you have a fire, call SERVPRO.

SERVPRO Technicians Deal with Many Different Kinds of Fire Damage Scenarios

Thousands of electrical fires are reported each year in the United States. Electrical fires in homes result in a larger dollar loss per fire than fires that are not electrical. Most of these fires could have been prevented by taking some preventative steps that everyone can do.
 
In older homes, the key to avoiding fire damage from electrical fires is to have an experienced electrician inspect your wiring. It is not meant to last forever, so if your Santa Rosa Beach home is over a century old, it is overdue for rewiring. If your older home has experienced an electrical fire, you want to contact us at SERVPRO right away once the fire is out. We work fast so that additional damages from soot and smoke are minimized.
 
One of the main causes for these kinds of fires is faulty wiring. If you see any wiring which is tattered, worn out, or frayed, replace it. Cords which are in poor condition can cause sparks or overheat and start a fire.
 
Another common cause is overloading, which occurs when you have too many appliances plugged into the same outlet, power strip, or extension cord. It is recommended to purchase power strips which have internal overload protection.
 
Keep flammable materials away from any electric appliances. Portable space heaters are quite dangerous but don’t forget about hair dryers, irons, or even lamps. Any appliance can trigger a fire if it encounters flammable material including towels, blankets, and rugs. Do not hide cables under carpets and rugs.
 
Unless it is a matter of simply replacing a cord, fixing faulty wiring and shorts needs the expertise of an electrician. Flickering lamps, breakers that always trip, plugs which spark when you plug something in, and buzzing outlets can all cause sparks and fires.
 
When the worst does happen, SERVPRO is standing by to help you clean up the mess and make repairs to your home and possessions. We treat every customer as an individual as well and walk you through the remediation process, so you are comfortable with what is going on.
 
When you trust in SERVPRO of N. Okaloosa, Walton, Holmes & Washington Counties, you can rest easy knowing we take care of your home for you. We can even speak with the insurance company to take that stress off you so you can focus on you and your family when you call us at (850) 267-0746.

For more information regarding Santa Rosa Beach, click here

Other News

View Recent Posts