Tips for Fire Prevention
SERVPRO Offers Suggestions to Prevent Fire Damage to Your Home
United States fire departments responded to about 1,240,000 fires in the year 2013, causing an estimated $11.5 billion in property damage. In 2014, there were 1,298,000 fires reported in the United States. These fires caused 3,275 civilian deaths, 15,775 civilian injuries, and $11.6 billion in property damage. There are preventative measures you can implement in your home or business to keep from being one of these statistics.
Prevent fire damage in Santa Rosa Beach by following the following advice:
1. Install smoke alarms in hallways, on every level of your building and inside all bedrooms
2. Test smoke alarms once a month, if the batteries don’t work change them.
3. Replace your lithium-powered, or “life-long”, batteries every ten years or less.
4. Plan and Practice Family Fire Drills
5. Keep a UL 711A fire extinguisher in your kitchen--the number one culprit for fires. Never leave open flames unattended.
6. Do not overload electrical circuits or wiring.
7. Store flammable products and chemicals in a safe, well-ventilated area. Preferably in a shed, not in the main house.
Sometimes, though, accidents happen. Even when you do everything right and following common sense procedures. Damage caused by the fire is devastating for your family and your home or office. The loss of personal possessions, photos, and heirlooms may be irreplaceable. It is a stressful and confusing time if it was a significant fire damaging event, so you’ll need caring experts to guide you through the crisis. The American Red Cross is an excellent source for providing food, shelter, and comfort. Immediately get in contact with your insurance company to send out an adjuster to evaluate the damage and the fire damage restoration process. Call SERVPRO to meet with, and work with, your insurance representative, to help you with the claims process and coordinate the work.
When in need of water, mold, or fire damaging restoration, you can trust your local SERVPRO of N. Okaloosa, Walton, Holmes & Washington to promptly set your mind at ease. Call us at (850) 267-0746.